“Four eyes reads better than two”
This line is perfect in the context of your search for an editor.
If you are a good writer than an editor makes you help to be a better one. They are the only one who paints your imagination made up of a thousand words. But let’s not forget that the book made up of great sentences are not necessarily a good book. It needs to be polished and get it the best of the other contemporary versions. So, even if the writer alone accomplishes all the tasks regarding writing still one of the vital steps is still needs to pay attention to that is a search of a good editor.
Why the editor is necessary?
The writer cannot review his own work. He necessarily requires a person who reviews his manuscripts, proofreading, helps to edit the copy and gets you through with the correct and exact publishing process. His job is that one cannot describe in two sentences as they work more than a writer. The role and responsibility are much more complex in terms of the practical process until the book gets published.
Although editors don’t get much attention but play a huge role in the life of the writer’s career. Hence, one can’t deny the need for a book editor.
So what should be the criteria for selecting or finding a good editor?
Although finding an editor is a tough call but not an impossible task. As said above editors do have an important role in the author’s life, so usually writers usually prefer the same editor for their entire career path. Here, it is needless to say that the editor indirectly helps the author to build their brand’s name across the globe.
The editing process is misinterpreted many times. The author must understand the process undergoes until the book gets its desired success through proper publishing. Editing is not just finding simple errors, typos, commas and putting it all together again in a final copy. The editing process does cover many of the criteria where the editor needs to check and the various responsibilities such as editing and verifying the content, detecting errors and punctuation, correcting the errors in spellings, syntax, timeliness, thoroughness, improving readability, supervision, etc. He also needs to understand the reader or audience appeal. According to the situation, he develops the story or content ideas. But the story doesn’t end here.
They are different other stages such as:
- Publication production which includes artwork, printing process, budget requirements.
- Working with the editorial staff and management regarding developing stories.
- Communicating with the authors for changing the content after reading and evaluating the manuscripts.
- Meeting up the marketing directors, production managers, layout personnel to discuss projects and resolve the problems.
- Coordinate with supervision the work of reporters.
- Negotiate contracts, royalties, and payment for authors or freelancers.
- Arrange the copyright permissions
- Keep track of scheduled time to ensure the book publishes on time.
So, here are some of the ways with which one can find the good and affordable editor:
- To check out for the editor who provides all the editing services from content checking to publish process.
- Looking for potential editors by giving a sample edit test to your manuscript.
- Ask for references and referrals.
- Or just reach out to our customer service and consult about the ideal editor for your book.
By doing the required homework and understanding the process under which an editor works, one can understand why they charge the most for editing a particular manuscript. But finding an editor with the above-suggested ways, one can get an affordable editor for their much-loved manuscript to edit and get the final copy of their dreamed script published worldwide successfully!