Well, the book summary is a summary. Right? No, its not the just the plain summary we mean to convey here. The summary is one of the beautiful ART convey your story or conversation or any event in the most succinct yet in an impressive manner. We often summarise a lot of things, happening, new around us in our day-to-day lives in our conversation. But its really important that it gets summed up in a nice and logical way. People usually read the summary to get the perfect idea of any written article or a piece of writing so as to get the idea of the main content.
There are generally three ways of incorporating other writers’ ideas into your own writing. They are a) Quotation b) Paraphrase and c) Summary.
Summary of Summary:
So let’s summarise the summary funny right but writing a book summary is not that easy or funny it’s a serious business. It includes an overview of the particular written source to the reader. The book’s summary written by the author is a very important aspect. It’s a plot that is described in the best possible short way so as to cut down the unnecessary details and thereby gaining the main attention of the potential reader.
Now, the question may arise why the summary is so important? Often people go for a summary to get the general idea of the content and decide upon the book to read or to forgo it simply. Summarization always grabs the attention of the reader if its properly written and edited in a professional manner. A good book summary helps the reader to decide whether they should invest their time and energy after a particular written source or not. So, needless to say, that a good summary helps the readers to get a central plot of the story or any written piece in a concise manner.
There are some simple small stages or steps that can be followed for writing a book summary.
These steps are as follows in a simple understandable way:
- Annotating or noting by way of explanation which includes marking important passages that are surprising or important. Also, it helps if you highlight a passage and write in it or using some sticky notes over it to mark the passage itself.
- Writing keynotes in another book can work wonders for writing a good summary afterward.
- Jotting down the main plot or main characters and their descriptions, goals, characteristics which provide more and accurate information of the written source material.
- Thinking out the book in sections i.e. Main beginning, sub sentences (the problem of the source) and third the end( which likely resolve the problem). Breaking down these in further sections can help you review the book better like what the author emphasizes and what is whole plot is about. Thus getting the key idea of the story or written source revolves around.
After completing the know-how of the source or material or let us say reviewing the whole storyline; the last but not the least stage is about editing your own made summary in a technical way. It is the important base of working out a summary in a professional and a logical manner.
Let’s dig deeper about some drafting basics know-how which will help to create a clean and polished summary. So, following some simple yet careful steps, one can make an interesting and neat summary for readers. Thus, to feel engrossed through and thereby creating an urge to get to know the content of written source or material.
- It needs to clear and specific for those who have not read/seen or heard of the original source of the materials.
- Need to include the essential information that a person needs to understand without reading the source of content.
- A summary needs to concise and brief.
- Inclusive of the main points of the content material.
- While making a summary, it’s really important that one should not go too beyond the main idea so as to retain the interest of the reader.
- Not need to be too specific of unnecessary details or statistics such as dates or any sort of data. Be as brief as possible.
- Also, maintain the structure of the summary divided into three parts 1) Main topic 2) Supporting structure i.e. supporting sentences. 3) The end which concludes the whole storyline.
- The order of the original source should be maintained throughout. It should not be different from the original content or material.
- No personal advice or opinion to be added as it’s a complete author’s perspective or piece of writing.
Now, considering the re-reading stage, to rethink by going through again and self-analyzing the errors if any. Thus, there is no doubt making a summary is an a bit challenging job. But by being careful and keeping all the above-mentioned points in mind it will be a much easier task to achieve!
I hope this blog helps you, but in case it doesn’t then reach out to our publishing manager for your rescue.